My kids love doing word searches, and it's a great way to work on their literacy skills! Instead of printing word searches I found online or purchasing books at the store, we decided to create our own word search template.
The kids enjoyed coming up with different themes for their word searches and then thinking of as many words as they could that fit with the theme. You could even choose sight words, spelling words, or vocabulary words to create a word search that is a fun way to practice and study!
Here is how to create your own word search:
- Print out our free blank word search template.
- Decide on a title or theme (of course, you can choose all random words as well!)
- Write the first word you want in your search in the "word list."
- Enter that word into the grid, putting one letter in each box. Keep in mind words can be entered vertically, horizontally, and diagonally, and can be forward or backward!
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for additional words you want in the grid. It's best to enter words one at a time so you ensure there is enough space in your grid. Words can cross and share letters too!
- When you have entered all of your words, or have run out of space to put more words in, fill in the remaining blank boxes with random letters.
When you're done, have your child give your word search to a sibling, parent, or friend and see how many words they can find! My kids each enjoyed making their own searches and then trading them with their siblings and having a competition to see who could find all of the words first.
Don't want to make your own? No problem! Click here for a completed Macaroni Kid-themed word search to print out your kids will enjoy!
Sarah Boucher is the publisher of Macaroni Kid Grand Haven-Spring Lake-Muskegon, Mich.
Get a FREE kid-friendly event calendar for families living from downtown B'ham and south to Alabaster full of festivals, fairs, activities, events and more! Sign up by clicking HERE!
Macaroni Kid South Birmingham is a free weekly e-newsletter and website focused on fun family events and things to do with kids in the South Birmingham region. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week, and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in downtown Birmingham, Mountain Brook, Homewood, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, Pelham, the Oak Mountain and 280 area, Helena and Alabaster.