Bring the excitement of summer camp to your own home with our specially curated family-friendly itinerary of themed activities. We've created a sample schedule to help you brainstorm sports camp ideas your kids will love!
This week, find your family fun® with SPORTS and ATHLETICS.
Gold Medal Cookies
Ingredients needed: Golden Oreos, Fruit-By-The-Foot
1. Open up an Oreo cookie and unroll a Fruit-By-The-Foot.
2. Loop the fruit-by-the-foot to form a necklace and press the ends into the Oreo's cream filling.
3. Press the cookie back together.
BooksPete the Cat: Scuba-Cat, by James Dean
Jabari Jumps, by Gaia Cornwall
Bad Kitty Joins the Team, by Nick Bruel
Salt in His Shoes: Michael Jordan in Pursuit of a Dream, by Deloris Jordan
The Boy Who Never Gave Up - Stephen Curry: The Children's Book, by Anthony Curcio
Supplies needed: String, empty cardboard tube, tape
1. Stretch a piece of string from one side of the room to the other.
2. Before securing the string in place, slide the empty cardboard tube roll onto the string.
3. Test your strength by seeing who can throw the tube the furthest along the string. For a challenge, secure the string at an incline.
Paper Plate Tennis
Supplies needed: Paper plates, craft sticks, balloon, tape
1. Decorate each paper plate to represent your team.
2. Tape a craft stick to the back of the plate to form a handle.
3. Hit a balloon back and forth using your new paddles
4. Determine how players earn points or just try to keep the balloon from hitting the ground.
Grocery Bag Pom Poms
Supplies needed: 3+ plastic grocery bags, scissors
1. Flatten out your plastic bags.
2. Cut long, even strips across the bag.
3. Gather the strips and use a spare strip to tie the pieces together in the center.
4. Shake those pom-poms to cheer on your favorite team!
The Sweet 16 — of Books!
Download a FREE 16-seed bracket to rank your favorite books, movies, board games, ice cream flavors, or any number of themes.
Visit a local park and take along what you need to play your family's favorite games, whether it's football, croquet, baseball, soccer, or tennis -- or all of the above! Who will win the ultimate family championship?
Want to show us your celebration of sports and athletics? We'd love to see your photos! Be sure to tag @macaronikid on social media so we can see how you've brought the joy of summer camp into your own home!
Get a FREE kid-friendly event calendar for families living from downtown B'ham and south to Alabaster full of festivals, fairs, activities, events and more! Sign up by clicking HERE!
Macaroni Kid South Birmingham is a free weekly e-newsletter and website focused on fun family events and things to do with kids in the South Birmingham region. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week, and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in downtown Birmingham, Mountain Brook, Homewood, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, Pelham, the Oak Mountain and 280 area, Helena and Alabaster.