My kids and I love hot chocolate, and we love ice cream -- so why not put them together? Your kids will love making this frozen concoction -- and you'll all love eating it!
Here's the recipe for this easy-to-make frozen hot cocoa ice cream:
Frozen Hot Cocoa Ice Cream
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 3 hot cocoa packets
- 1 1/4 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- Beat heavy cream in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high until stiff peaks form.
- Use a spatula to fold in the sweetened condensed milk.
- Then fold in the hot cocoa, mixing well.
- Add 1 cup marshmallows and stir until they are evenly spread throughout the ice cream mixture.
- Pour mixture into a metal loaf pan.
- Top with the remaining 1/4 cup of marshmallows.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 4-6 hours or until firm.
Want homemade ice cream but don't want hot chocolate flavored? Try these variations! Simply make the ice cream base with heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk. Then, instead of adding the cocoa and marshmallows, try these options and then put in the pan, cover, and freeze:
Add 1-1.5 cups of frozen mixed berries, thawed. Top with additional frozen berries.
Peanut Butter Cup:
Add 1/4 cup peanut butter and 1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips. Top with chocolate chips.
Add 1/4 cup of caramel syrup. Top with coarsely ground sea salt.
Mint Chocolate Chip:
Add 1-2 teaspoons of mint extract and 1/4-1/2 cup mini chocolate chips. You can also add green food coloring.
I hope your family enjoys this homemade treat!
Get a FREE kid-friendly event calendar for families living from downtown B'ham and south to Alabaster full of festivals, fairs, activities, events and more! Sign up by clicking HERE!
Macaroni Kid South Birmingham is a free weekly e-newsletter and website focused on fun family events and things to do with kids in the South Birmingham region. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week, and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in downtown Birmingham, Mountain Brook, Homewood, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, Pelham, the Oak Mountain and 280 area, Helena and Alabaster.