I am always on the lookout for a special gift for my husband and my dad for Father's Day each year. I want them to know how much they are loved and appreciated, but they don't need anything ... which always makes it hard to find the perfect gift!
So I was excited to try my hand at making coasters for them in time for Father's Day this year -- a personalized and practical gift that is also inexpensive to make and easy enough that the kids can help!
What you need:
- 4x4 ceramic tiles (I found plain white ones for less than 15¢ each at my local hardware store!)
- Prints of your favorite photos or art by your kids, cut to size of tiles
- Glue stick
- Mod Podge
- Small foam brush
- Piece of felt or self-adhesive felt pads (If you're using felt, you can easily attach it with help from a glue gun.)
You can use photos or kids' artwork to create the coasters!
- Apply glue using the glue stick across the back of each photo and stick one onto the front of each tile.
- Stick self-adhesive felt pads or 1-inch squares onto the bottom on the corners of each tile. If using felt squares, a glue gun will work to add the felt easily.
- Apply 3 thin coats of Mod Podge to the front of the tile, wrapping down around the sides and smoothing out the front, waiting about 15 minutes between each coat. As it dries, it will look opaque, but once finished, it will dry clear.
- Let the tiles dry completely for at least three days before using. It will take them that long (or maybe longer depending on your area's humidity level!) to seal completely and no longer feel tacky.
Have a happy Father's Day!
Jennifer Hill is the publisher of Macaroni Kid Fremont, Calif.
Get a FREE kid-friendly event calendar for families living from downtown B'ham and south to Alabaster full of festivals, fairs, activities, events and more! Sign up by clicking HERE!
Macaroni Kid South Birmingham is a free weekly e-newsletter and website focused on fun family events and things to do with kids in the South Birmingham region. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week, and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in downtown Birmingham, Mountain Brook, Homewood, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, Pelham, the Oak Mountain and 280 area, Helena and Alabaster.