Are you looking for a reason to either cut down or eliminate screen time from your and your child’s daily life? Good news! From April 30 to May 6, it is Screen-Free Week.
Rediscover the joys of life without the TV, computer, and tablet.
- Start a garden. There is nothing better than going out in your yard to pick fresh fruits and vegetables. Don’t have a green thumb? Don’t worry, you can start small with growing fresh herbs in pots. If you’re feeling extra green, visit your local garden center to buy a raised garden bed, soil, and food you wish to grow. It is great to get out, enjoy the fresh air, and teach your child/children something new, all while growing fresh food in your very own backyard.
- Explore your hometown. It's is a wonderful town with many hidden gems. Sometimes we take what it has to offer for granted. Go out and explore the city like a tourist would. Check the local tourism brochures for some of the hot spots you've been missing and dine out at local restaurants that you have never tried.
- Backyard sleepover. The weather is getting warmer and it’s time to take advantage of it. Get the family together to grill a delicious dinner and cap off the night with roasting smores and sleeping under the stars in the tent. What’s better than sleeping outside with your family and enjoying all the sights and sounds of the night?
- Take day trips. Take a day trip to the state capital to explore everything it has to offer. Be sure to visit the capitol building and museums. History not your thing? Go see your favorite sports team play or take a drive to the nearest scenic view.
- Purge toys, clothes, and other items. Screen-Free Week is the perfect time to go through items in your house that you no longer use or wear, or have been collecting dust. Get your kids involved by asking them to donate toys that they no longer play with to kids who are in need. Have some clothes that don’t fit anymore? Get them out of your closet and look at it as another excuse to go shopping!
We hope that you and your family enjoy spending time together doing new and exciting things during Screen-Free Week.
|You may also like|
|Mark Your Calendar|
Get a FREE kid-friendly event calendar for families living from downtown B'ham and south to Alabaster full of festivals, fairs, activities, events and more! Sign up by clicking HERE!
Macaroni Kid South Birmingham is a free weekly e-newsletter and website focused on fun family events and things to do with kids in the South Birmingham region. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week, and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in downtown Birmingham, Mountain Brook, Homewood, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, Pelham, the Oak Mountain and 280 area, Helena and Alabaster.