- Work on ways to reduce food waste, including meal planning, storing items properly, finding new ways to use leftovers, and preserving food you can’t use fast enough by freezing, canning, or dehydrating.
- Turn off lights when you leave a room and shut off water when you’re not using it.
- Buy dry goods in bulk since it typically uses less packaging.
- Start seeds and map out your family’s garden, or sign up for a CSA to cut down on the carbon footprint of your grocery bill. (Editor's note: Read our review of MannaMarket, a local organic co-op)
- Review which recyclables your local facility accepts, since they may add to their list periodically.
- Take a walk/hike and enjoy being in nature. Bring a pair of gloves and a bag so you can pick up any trash you find along the way.
- Start a compost bin to use in your garden and flowerbeds.
- Make or buy a rain barrel and use the water you collect to water your plants.
- Learn about invasive species in your area and what you can do to help.
- Find out what your school currently recycles and if there is anything else you can add.
- Talk with your school about alternative recycling programs that accept snack bar wrappers, juice pouches and even offer fundraising options.
Like this article? Macaroni Kid South Birmingham is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in the South Birmingham region. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week, and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in downtown Birmingham, Mountain Brook, Homewood, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, Pelham, Oak Mountain area, Helena and Alabaster. Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another awesome event again! Subscribe here for FREE at https://sbirmingham.macaronikid.com/subscribe